Wednesday, January 18, 2012

For you, Reddit.

I made a post last night saying I would write a short story within the time frame of the blackout I know it only got like 6 upvotes, but I said I would do it, so, here I go.

Since the highest  voted plot was only 2 votes between like three people, I just picked the one with the most flexibility. Here is the itinerary:

morphite65 2 points 4 hours ago
Two men share an apartment. One day, man one comes home to find man two dead and a note on the door explaining that it was necessary. He proceeds to investigate the man's past, family, etc, to find out what really happened. He uncovers a secret much larger than he would have thought possible.
Cold Shoulder

"I'm getting so sick of this rain." Bryan muttered, peering through the blinds. His eyes were tracking the people out on the street below. There was a sense of paranoia, almost as if he was looking for someone. Waiting.
"Look man, it’s January, would you rather have snow?"
                I feel like he isn't looking for much of a conversation. I noticed how the window pane fogged over as he scoffed at my response. I don't understand why he was acting so weird.  I'm not sure if I should even say anything to him "Are you alright, man? Can I help you out with anything?" He remained unmoved, peering out, he moved to speak, yet stopped his lips before the words could form. What the hell is wrong with you?          
               As he peered out, he began to fidget with the buttons of his overcoat.  Was he nervous about something? This is too weird, and besides, I have to get ready and be at work in 45 minutes, I don't have time for solving mysteries. I'll play Dr. Phil another day when I have more time than money. The only thing I noticed, as I got up and scraped what was left of my eggs and toast, is that he had still remained standing, staring, out down below. I wonder how long he would stand there anyways. Didn't he have to work today?  God, I need to get my own house out in the country, I don't have the patience to deal with random people’s problems.
“I’m going to get ready for the day.” My announcement seemed to go unnoticed. I moved into the bathroom
               There he was, still standing there, in front of the window. I should just go over there and shake him. Make him snap out of this haze. I don't think he's on any drugs. Perhaps he's depressed. I'll look up the nearest shrink during lunch today. Hmm, it is raining out, I guess I'll wear my boots today. Alright, off to work, I’m going to be late if I decide to stick around any longer.  
"Malcolm."   
                 I froze. This had been the first word he had said since breakfast, I looked over at him quizzically. He still peered out the window, with his back to me. I've had enough of this silliness, this is just getting ridiculous. I should just speak my mind, when I heard Bryan begin to say something more. I noticed as his hands stopped fidgeting, and began to clench. He spoke to the glass, as If I wasn't even there. I couldn't even catch what he was saying. I've had enough of crazy talk. Finally, I caught what he muttered out. "I hate the rain." 
               I have had enough of this; I needed to get to work. "I'm leaving." I could have sworn I heard him sigh. If I was still at the table I’m sure i could have seen if the glass would have fogged over as he responded. No matter, I'll ask him what the hell was up when I get home tonight, anyways. Perhaps he was sleepwalking.  I opened the door, and began my way out.  "Don't forget your umbrella."  
               I'm running late. I don't have any more time for Bryan's shenanigans. I closed the door and made my way down the six flights of steps. Anything that Bryan needs will have to be dealt with later. 

The rain was cold, but gentle enough that it didn’t damper the air around it. However, as January has been known to do, offered a wind that seemed to be a cold and harsh slap, reminding Malcolm who really was boss.
“I didn’t need my umbrella for this weather.” He mumbled as he made his way towards the heart of Downtown. The bank- Patriot USA was busier than usual, it seemed. People were spilling down the main entrance or hurrying in to view their finances. Or maybe I was pre occupied. What the hell was wrong with Bryan this morning? Normally he keeps to himself anyways, but today was just odd. I need to get away from these phones. It’s like everything is crashing down all at once. I need to get some air.



Walking back to the apartments, I wonder. I’ll just glance up too see if Bryan is still looking out. Hmm, the apartment light is on but at least Bryan finally moved away. I hope he’s in the mood to tell me what the hell was going on this morning.


“Hello?” Bryan”

            Man where the hell is he? And why did he leave all of the lights on? The apartment was surprisingly clean. Maybe he was on drugs after all. But

No comments:

Post a Comment